The WEISSE HAUS in Hamburg was built in 1906 by Johannes Grotjan, one of Germany’s leading architects who also built Hamburg’s town hall. He was able to combine the historic Wilhelminian style with the popular style of that era - Art Nouveau. The building was initially owned by a rice importer named Theodor Wehber, who wanted to have a home close to the river Alster in the heart of Eppendorf. Today the house is situated directly between the airport and the city centre. Grotjan designed the garden according to the French model allowing receptions to be held close to the water. Having survived a long history including two world wars, the 1000 square metre villa was completely renovated in 1989 and subsequently put under a preservation order. The Belle Etage is over three hundred square metres and the ceiling in the entrance has a height of almost ten metres, making it a marvellous place for receptions and exhibitions. The house also has a very comprehensive lighting, audio and video system.
The acoustics of the entrance hall have received compliments from a number of international classical music personalities like Jehudi Menuhin, Justus Frantz, and André Rieu. Also great musicians of various other genres, such as Marius Müller-Westernhagen, Udo Jürgens , Ryuichi Sakamoto have performed here. Since the restoration, Media Art has played an important role at the WEISSE HAUS. In 1989 Nam June Paik, who is acknowledged as the father of the Video Art, held a Media exhibition of works that later became classics in Video Art. The building fulfils the highest safety requirements and is easily accessible. These factors, combined with the special historic ambience and high technical standard, have lead to over a hundred cultural, media and Haute Couture exhibitions and receptions taking place in the WEISSE HAUS. Over the last nearly 25 years, more than ten thousand people have visited the house.